Other Rights & Exceptions
Exclusive Rights of the Copyright Holder [106/106a]:
- Right to Reproduce Work — Making copies (digital, analog, etc.) [link to law]
- Right to make Derivative Works — Creating works based on the original (translations, adaptations, pastiche, etc.)
- Right to Distribute Work — Selling or making the work publicly available (uploading to the Internet, sharing over email, etc.).
- Right to Publicly Perform Work — Screening a film, putting on a play, reciting a monologue, etc.
- Right to Publicly Display Work — Posting or displaying images or text (physically or virtually), presenting a slide show, etc.
- Right to Make Digital Transmission of Work — Broadcasting music or other sound recordings
Other Important Exceptions & Copyright Tools:
- Section 108 — The Library & Archive Provisions [link to law]
- Section 109 — "First Sale Doctrine" [link to law]
- Section 110 & 110(2) — The Face to Face Teaching Provision & The TEACH Act [link to law]
- Public Domain — Works not Covered by Copyright
- Is it Protected by Copyright? Digital Copyright Slider